Speech by DATO ZAINAL ABU ZARIN
President of Asian Paralympic Committee (APC)
CLOSING CEREMONY, ASIAN YOUTH PARA GAMES 2013
Wednesday • 30 Oct 2013 • 3.00 pm
STADIUM PUTRA, Bukit Jalil Sports Complex
Yang Berusaha Associate Prof. Dr Anuar Suun, Vice-Chairman, Malaysia Asian Youth Para Games Organising Committee, MAYPGOC
Colleagues from Asian Paralympic Committee, Paralympic Council Malaysia
AYPG Malaysia 2013 Organising Committee
Athletes, Officials and Delegates,
Volunteers, Members of the Media,
Distinguished Guests, Ladies and Gentlemen
Assalamualaikum warahmatullahiwabarakatuh, good afternoon;
- In the last 5 days, we have witnessed many exciting Para moments as our young athletes battled for honours in this third edition of the Asian Youth Para Games Malaysia 2013, here in Kuala Lumpur. My hope… it has provided all of us with many memorable experience..and a better understanding on what Para sports, Para athletes and Paralympic movement are all about.
- COURAGE… INSPIRATION…DETERMINATION…EQUALITY…I’m sure, we now have better understanding of what these Paralympic philosophy and tenets, really means.
- This indeed, has been a great journey, great moment to all of us. There were moments of joy and laughter, agony and despair, as athletes from all the 5 sub regions in Asia, converged here to compete here since last week. These are our future stars, future heroes and future hopes. To all our athletes and all contingents, congratulations! We salute you!
- On behalf of the Asian Paralympic Committee, I wish to congratulate the Local Organising Committee or MAYPGOC, for the great work in organising AYPG Malaysia 2013. To officials, the hundreds of volunteers, and to all spectators, Paralympic friends and fans, may your passion, spirit and support to the Paralympic cause, continue to live on!
- I’m very much delighted with the fact that all 5 sub-regions are represented in this Games:
From EAST ASIA, we have Japan, China, Hong Kong, Korea, Chinese Taipei, DPR Korea, Macau and Mongolia.
SOUTH EAST ASIA – Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Myanmar, Philippines, Brunei, Singapore and Malaysia!
From CENTRAL ASIA, we have Iran, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan
WEST ASIA – Iraq, Jordan, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar and Syria….
and from SOUTH ASIA, we have Sri Lanka and Pakistan!
- Whatever our regions are, we carry only One Hope, the hope of Asia!
- Now that we have witnessed the potential of these young athletes…continue to nurture, groom and guide them to greater heights.
- As the AYPG Malaysia 2013 curtain comes down in a short while, I urged all member nations to come together, move together in true Asian Paralympic spirit. My wish is to see that our sports and athletes are empowered to meet and overcome the challenges in the coming decades, and realize our APM 2020 VISION.
- To all NPCs, please continue with your great work in developing Para sports in your respective countries.
- To athletes, your sporting spirit and achievement will continue to inspire us. We are proud of you… ASIA salutes you!
- To all who have been part of this amazing journey, partners, sponsors, related agencies, the media and volunteers, a BIG THANK YOU, from the bottom of my heart.
- Once again, to the Local Organising Committee, MAYPGOC, congratulations for a job well done despite the many constraints and difficulties along the way.
- To each and everyone, cherish all the good moments and memories here, prepare to meet again in four year’s time!
- On that note, I HEREBY DECLARE THE ASIAN YOUTH PARA GAMES Malaysia 2013, CLOSED! THANK YOU