Speech By Dato’ Zainal Abu Zarin – President of Asian Paralympic Committee (Apc) – Opening Ceremony, Asian Youth Para Games 2013 – 26 Oct 2013
DATO’ ZAINAL ABU ZARIN
President of Asian Paralympic Committee (APC)
OPENING CEREMONY, ASIAN YOUTH PARA GAMES 2013
Saturday • 26 Oct 2013 • 3.00 pm
STADIUM PUTRA, Bukit Jalil Sports Complex, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
Honorable Minister, Yang Berhormat Encik Khairy Jamaluddin Abu Bakar, Minister of Youth and Sports Malaysia
Yang Amat Berbahagia Tun Jeanne Abdullah, Patron, Paralympic Council of Malaysia
Sir Philip Craven, President, International Paralympic Committee, IPC
Yang Berusaha Associate Prof. Dr Anuar Suun, Vice-Chairman, Malaysia Asian Youth Para Games Organising Committee, MAYPGOC
Colleagues from Asian Paralympic Committee, Paralympic Council Malaysia
AYPG Malaysia 2013 Organising Committee
Athletes, Officials and Delegates,
Volunteers, Members of the Media,
Distinguished Guests, Ladies and Gentlemen
Assalamualaikum warahmatullahiwabarakatuh, good afternoon;
1. On behalf of the Asian Paralympic Committee, it gives me great pleasure to welcome you to Kuala Lumpur, for the Asian Youth Para Games Malaysia 2013. It’s indeed, a privilege to be here today.
- To begin, I wish to thank the Paralympic Council of Malaysia, the Local Organising Committee of the Games, MAYPGOC, for hosting and organising the Asian Youth Para Games Malaysia 2013. It goes to prove that NPC Malaysia is fully committed in pushing the Paralympic agenda, not only in this country, but in the region as well.
- My appreciation to Honorable Minister, YB Khairy Jamaluddin…your presence today certainly provides huge encouragement to us all, especially the young athletes, who will be battling for medals, pride and honor in the next few days. We are indeed honoured to have you, a true Paralympic friend, to grace this ceremony today.
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN,
- After two editions, I see great potential of the Asian Youth Para Games growing and developing further. My hope is that, it would, one day, grow to become among the premier multi-sport Games in the region.
- AYPG Malaysia 2013, I believe, will be exciting in many ways. Already, it has set new benchmarks, in the number of sports contested and athletes competing in this Games. Several initiatives were developed and executed to enhance value of the Games. This include reaching out to spectators and audience across Asia, through collaboration in broadcasting and television. In this context, APC’s collaboration with Asia Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU), I believe, would help towards creating better awareness and undertstanding on Para sports and Games in this continent.
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN:
- With 14 sports listed in AYPG 2013, I foresee great action in the next five days. Get ready for many inspiring moments by our young Para athletes. These are our future athletes, athletes who shoulder the hopes of Asia in future Games. These are our future heroes, whom we hope will continue to inspire others in sport and in life! I hope many will go on to become Paralympic stars!
- To all these athletes, we salute your determination and courage! Enjoy the Games, continue to grow and develop your passion in sports, work hard to realize your dream, forge new friendships, make new friends which you can keep for life!
- To al sporting fans and Spectators, please come out, show your support! Let us be generous in our encouragement towards these young athletes who have worked so hard to be here!
- To the media, I thank you for all the support, let us strengthen our alliance, work hand in hand in continuously promoting Para sports and movement.
- To the hundreds of volunteers, you are simply amazing and inspiring.
- To the sponsors, thank you for the great support and trust in the Games and our young athletes.
- To MAYPGOC, I thank you for all the efforts in hosting and organising the Games. This is proof of NPC Malaysia’s commitment in contributing towards the realisation of APC’s 2020 vision. APC is grateful and proud of your commitment.
- Thank you to Honourable Minister YB Khairy Jamaluddin, for being here with us. Your presence symbolizes recognition to the Paralympic movement in this country.
- Finally, let us all make AYPG 2013 a Games to remember! THANK YOU!