Seven candidates running for election to Asian Paralympic Committee’s Athletes’ Committee
Following the call for nominations to the Athletes’ Committee, the Asian Paralympic Committee has today announced the seven candidates who will contest the election to be held during the Indonesia 2018 Asian Para Games that get underway in Jakarta on October 6.
Five members of the Athletes’ Committee will be elected. The list of the candidates is:
- Jeong Min LEE (Republic of Korea) – Cross Country Skiing/Biathlon and Rowing
- Junichi KAWAI (Japan) – Swimming
- Mohamad MOHAMAD (Syria) – Para-athletics
- Nur Syahidah ALIM (Singapore)- Archery
- Siamand RAHMAN (I.R. Iran) – Powerlifting
- Siham Masoud Muhail ALRASHEEDY (UAE) – Para-athletics
- Yanzhang WHANG (China) – Para-athletics
The nomination process opened on July 12 and closed on September 6, 2018. All nominations were then reviewed by APC Legal and Ethics Committee, headed by Prof. Faisal Abdullah.
The Athletes’ Committee is designed to ensure that the athletes’ voice is central to the APC’s decision-making process. It has five members elected by the athletes participating at every summer Asian Para Games. The five elected members then choose a Chairperson, who will replace the current Athletes’ Committee chair Ho-Gyoung You (KOR). Two additional members can be co-opted onto the committee, subject to APC Executive Board approval, to ensure that the diversity of the Paralympic movement in Asia is represented.
A candidate booklet with more information on each of the candidates has been published on the APC’s website.